Sunday, February 12, 2006

Movie Reviews: Revisited


Munich - It's a compelling movie that narrates some interesting historical events such as the Munich massacre at the oylmpics in the early 70's (which the movie is about) and black september. The trailer to this movie seemed appealing as it contained many interesting parts of the movie that really got my curiosity worked up. I couldn't wait until it was released, and once it was, it didn't fail to impress me. I really enjoyed it! I didn't have the slightest background information about any of the historical events in the movie, and that's why it was just as much of an educational experience as it was an entertaining one. I think the actors performed brilliantly and the they had played the movie/story out in detail which I saw as a plus. I also appreciated the fact that they tried to illuminate both sides of the conflicts without having to favour one side over the other.
My Rating: 9/10

Brokeback Mountain - Quoting CNN "It has been the subject of controversy and the subject of jokes -- how many times have you heard variations on "I wish I knew how to quit you" or seen parodies of its poster? -- but mostly "Brokeback Mountain" has been the subject of honors." The name of the movie is the actually the name of the mountain that most of the movie takes place in. It's a film that's recieved frequent publicity, and also a film that has been nominated for various awards including 'Best Picture', 'Best Director' and 'Best Actor' (Heath Ledger). The story revolves around a gay love story between two cowboys and the events and hardships that follow. Did I enjoy it? Not really, I expected much more of it after all the hype and controversy arising from it. Could I have came up with a better way to spend my time? Now that I've watched the movie.. I certainly can! If you can suppress all the silliness and laughter in you then.. scratch that.. dont go for it either way! Yes it was that bad/annoying/boring.
My Rating: 6.5/10

Requeim for a dream - The reason I rented this movie was because of all the recommendations I got from many friends. First of all I'll say that I didn't regret it for a minute! It was an indescribable.. ground breaking.. and a one of a kind movie! It boldly portrays the intricate ways by which drugs affect the users life. The movie is wonderfully shot, and takes the viewer through the movie as an omniscient observer.
My Rating: 9.5/10

American History X - I watched it for the second time and If I could sum up all the movies I've ever seen in my life and have a top ten list, then this movie would definitely make it on the list. An amazing and compelling drama that displays a sudden 180 degree change within the same character along the storyline. It's about extremities in racism and how they've affected a teenager, which in turn reflects all his hatred unto his own family that he loves and cares for. A MUST SEE!
My Rating: 10/10

The Jacket - A brilliant storyline that plays around with the chronological order of events. It tells the story of a man who suffered from amnesia after recieving an injury to the head in the Gulf War. The man is supposedly accused of manslaughter and is sentenced to time in an asylum for mentally ill criminals. He is subject to a series of strange and extreme means of psychological therapy, one of which enables him to time travel. A very entertaining movie. I really enjoyed it! Strongly recommended to fans of The Butterfly Effect, Memento and 12 Monkeys.
My Rating: 8.5/10

My House in Umbria - The only reason I was tricked into renting this movie was because of a tiny little sticker on it that read "Recommended viewing". I can't really remember the rating on the movie but I reckon it should be rated 60+.. not because of any strong/crude language, violence or nudity but because I believe that only much older people might enjoy it. The whole cast (except for 2) were old, it was a very slow type of movie, had no twists or bumps whatsoever... I won't go on. I'll just say it wasn't my type of movie :)
My Rating: 6/10

The Prince of Egypt - The movie I've been calling 'Ze Brince of Eegebt'. Despite it being a Dreamworks animated movie I admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It depicts the Exodus story in which the prophet Moses (Moosa AS) liberates the Hebrew slaves held captive by the Pharaoh. It was really nice to actually see the story I've heard several times in the form of an animation. Since the movie has religious significance then it will surely appeal to both adults and children alike :)
My Rating: 8.5/10

Just Friends - A once shy and overweight guy which was trapped in the friend zone back in high-school is now a totally new man. He had hopelessly loved his best friend and couldn't confess. Now that the tables have turned the story goes down a different track and she's put in his shoes. If you're looking for a dazzling movie with unprecedented storyline then this isn't the one for you, but if you're after a good laugh then this will do just fine.
My Rating: 7/10

Jarhead - "Welcome to the suck" no that wasn't an implication that the movie sucked. Infact it was enjoyable. It had so many laughs thrown in for the viewers, and the excessive use of foul language was quite funny at times. A brilliant depiction of the marine corps lives, and a very realistic portrayal of their experiences and adventures rather mischief. A profound performance that allows the viewer to share the moments. However it lacked faster continuity of events at some points which was probably the only downside to the movie.
My Rating: 7/10

3 Comments:

Blogger Arabian Prince said...

violet83: this comment of yours came in a record breaking time! Next time let me publish the post first before you comment lol
I think I know the part you're talking about, and if its the same part (on the curb) then almost everyone that's seen the movie remembers it.

2/13/2006 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched most of the movies on your list (yeah I watch way too many movies when I'm supposed to be studying).

I saw "Requeim for a dream" this previous summer and I really didn't know what to think about the movie. It was certainly interesting, but it was also very disturbing. It's definitely an eye-opener.

2/13/2006 6:37 AM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

mimi: PLEASE watch Munich.. I seriously can't understand why anyone would despise it so much?!
On the otherhand.. Brokeback Mountain.. I'll leave you to it, you'll learn the hard way lol

libellula: =) good, I say still watch movies even if you're supposed to study, and watch even more when you're on holidays :p
Eye-opener.. I think thats just the word for it!

2/14/2006 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • September 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • A7medino The Football Fanatic
  • Absomaniac
  • Alia aka Miss Valentine
  • Aqiesz Bohemian Garden
  • Arabian Princess
  • B3eed Aldar
  • Blind Melon's LullaBy
  • Bogus
  • Dija's World
  • Lym
  • Mimi
  • Muscati
  • NaBHaN
  • Nightface's Dark Notions
  • Oman Sky
  • Pineapple Thief's Cognitive Genocide
  • PizzaQueen
  • Raed - on the walking
  • SimSim's Realm
  • SoccerBlaze - Oman's first football blog
  • Ti3gib's Junkbox
  • Toxic Honey
  • TripleTee's Horizon
  • Warda's Lil Pink Submarine
  • Weirdgoat's Dark Enterprise

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Arabian Prince. Make your own badge here.


    Online dictionary at www.Answers.com
    Answers, not links






    iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator