Monday, January 23, 2006

Fascinations...


Well the title was rather vague, it's schizophrenia in particular that I'm fascinated with this time round. It's nothing new to me (as a topic ofcourse!), my curiosity and partial fascination with it has led me to read and learn more about it. Despite all the reading I've done I think I've only skimmed through it superficially. Why choose to write about it now? Well its a movie I've recently watched (for the second or third time), "A Beautiful Mind" starring Russel Crowe. He does an exceptionally good job playing the role of Pr. John Nash, a genius mathematician later diagnosed with this psychological disorder (also referred to as a mental ilness or a form of psychosis).

It's usually characterized by "withdrawal from reality, illogical patterns of thinking, delusions, and hallucinations, and accompanied in varying degrees by other emotional, behavioral, or intellectual disturbances." The disorder has been called "split personality" and that's because "there is often little or no logical relationship between the thoughts and feelings of a person with schizophrenia".

Fine, enough with that mumbo-jumbo and scientific terms. I managed to remember a couple of quotes from the movie that I thought were very thought provoking. The most memorable and related to all of this would be... "Imagine if you suddenly learned that the people, the places, the moments most important to you were not gone, not dead, but worse, had never been. What kind of hell would that be?"

Everytime I dwell into what I deem to be the dark corners of the human mind, I can't help but put myself in those situations. That doesn't last long enough though, it's usually too perplexed for me to comprehend. I wonder how its possible to deal with, analyze and assess things that isn't certain. Not only that but also build studies upon studies based on virtuality-for lack of a better term.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lym said...

One of my favorite movies of all time.

My uncle suffers from this dreadful illness. I think it is a somewhat a blessing that he can't differentiate between the real and the fantasy. It makes it a lot easier not knowing-I think- or not having to question what is really real and what is make-believe.His life is a combination of real and fake and he doesn't seem to suffer because he doesn't know which is which. He thinks that's naturally life and believes it to be so.

I think it is only bad when you are aware that you are imagining things, events and people.

1/25/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

mimi: Thanks :) and yeah I agree it really must be an awful illness.

lym: I'm sorry to hear that. And what you said last makes sense "it is only bad when you are aware that you are imagining things, events and people"

1/26/2006 6:14 PM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

kazablanka: neither have I, and I also feel sorry for people that are affected by that illness.

1/28/2006 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • September 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • A7medino The Football Fanatic
  • Absomaniac
  • Alia aka Miss Valentine
  • Aqiesz Bohemian Garden
  • Arabian Princess
  • B3eed Aldar
  • Blind Melon's LullaBy
  • Bogus
  • Dija's World
  • Lym
  • Mimi
  • Muscati
  • NaBHaN
  • Nightface's Dark Notions
  • Oman Sky
  • Pineapple Thief's Cognitive Genocide
  • PizzaQueen
  • Raed - on the walking
  • SimSim's Realm
  • SoccerBlaze - Oman's first football blog
  • Ti3gib's Junkbox
  • Toxic Honey
  • TripleTee's Horizon
  • Warda's Lil Pink Submarine
  • Weirdgoat's Dark Enterprise

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Arabian Prince. Make your own badge here.


    Online dictionary at www.Answers.com
    Answers, not links






    iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator