Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Omani Currency


I recieved a forwarded email from a friend a couple of days ago with the following pic attached to it:

Nothing was mentioned about it except the title which read "the new 1 omani rial published today 24/12/2005". I found the title informative enough, because I then spent the rest of the time staring at the new note. I haven't confirmed the authenticity of this yet. Since I have heard nothing about it so far it could be a hoax (ok maybe that's just me). So don't jump out of your seats yet boys and girls, and if it just happens to be right then I guess you have me to thank :p I think it looks better than it has ever looked for 35 years, and the most colorful in that timeframe if I might add. It was obviously released on the occasion of the 35th national day as it can clearly be noticed.

Some historic information on Oman's currency:
  • Maria Theresa Thalers (XMTT) circulated in the interior of Muscat and Oman, and the Indian Rupee (INR) circulated in the coastal regions of Muscat and Oman and was the official currency until the 1959. (The Baiza was the lowest denomination coin, with 1 Maria Theresa Thaler equal to 230 Baiza and 1 Indian Rupee equal to 64 Baiza.)
  • The Persian Gulf Rupee (XPGR) replaced the Indian Rupee at par on April 1, 1959.
  • When the Sultanate of Oman was established in 1970, Oman replaced the Persian Gulf Rupee with the Oman Riyal Saidi (OMS), which was introduced at par with the British Pound Sterling and equal to about 21 Persian Gulf Rupees.

  • The Riyal Omani (OMR) replaced the Riyal Saidi on November 11, 1972 at par. Banknotes were issued by the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman from 1970 until 1973, by the Oman Currency Board from 1973 until 1977, and by the Central Bank of Oman from 1977 on.

(Source: AME Info)

For some reason I like how the Sultanate was once named the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman, despite the fact that it might've referred to some sort of interior instability (my guess).

Some of the older notes:



(I think the year of publication of the latter is 1973, bear in mind that back then the notes were issued by the Omani Currency Board -majlis an'naqd al-omani- which is quite obvious from the pic)

10 Comments:

Blogger Lym said...

It is confirmed. I have the new designed One rial note in my wallet right now :P
Stole it from my cousin ! lol

But I must add ,that what is with the white shaped triangular on the new note ? It looks all wrong.

Well , I like the previous one rial note better.

12/28/2005 8:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Saw the new Rial and to tell you the truth I didn’t like the color

12/28/2005 10:45 PM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

Well there you go ladies and gentlemen, it's been confirmed by lym :)
Btw I'm not quite sure I know which white triangular shaped thing you're talking about.. oh and you think you can get me one too stealer stealer :p

I believe its just a matter of time until we get accustomed to the new look wardat_il'7leej :)

12/29/2005 12:41 AM  
Blogger Abs said...

Hmm kinda liked it. But will not speculate on it, until I hold one of those beauties in my hands and smell the fresh air of cash in my hands.:D

12/29/2005 7:57 AM  
Blogger Mutassim said...

just to let u guys know,

the NEW one rial note has limited circulation and will be withdrawn from the market by the Central Bank eventually.

So all you people who have the NEW rial; KEEP IT !

12/29/2005 6:40 PM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

On second thought.. I think I'll do the same abs ;)

I guess that's another reason for someone to brag about their money, thanks for the info m-pac and welcome to mi casa :)

LOL @ violet83 don't we just love our siblings? :p
Well you can still post about it, and atleast yours is going to be genuine whereas mine is a forward. See I'm giving you permission :p

12/30/2005 3:31 AM  
Blogger Arabian Princess said...

I dont like it either, I just love the pale blue rial, its original :)

12/30/2005 5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My maid and my cousin both got one :)

I want!

12/30/2005 7:41 PM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

LOL @ libellula for some reason that cracked me up. I guess because I pictured both your maid and little cousin (girl for some reason) teasing you by waving the new note around haha

I would've never thought of it that way nameless, thats quite interesting... but I'm not so sure about the 'erotic' thing :P

12/31/2005 5:38 AM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

First of all welcome to my blog Dr. Ingo :)

You're right, nowadays they're mostly found in antique's or can also be found in old traditional ornaments such as necklaces. And as you've mentioned, it would've mainly been due to Omani sailors that travelled around the world in the past.

I'm glad that you siezed the opportunity of visiting the Sultanate :)

1/16/2006 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • September 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • A7medino The Football Fanatic
  • Absomaniac
  • Alia aka Miss Valentine
  • Aqiesz Bohemian Garden
  • Arabian Princess
  • B3eed Aldar
  • Blind Melon's LullaBy
  • Bogus
  • Dija's World
  • Lym
  • Mimi
  • Muscati
  • NaBHaN
  • Nightface's Dark Notions
  • Oman Sky
  • Pineapple Thief's Cognitive Genocide
  • PizzaQueen
  • Raed - on the walking
  • SimSim's Realm
  • SoccerBlaze - Oman's first football blog
  • Ti3gib's Junkbox
  • Toxic Honey
  • TripleTee's Horizon
  • Warda's Lil Pink Submarine
  • Weirdgoat's Dark Enterprise

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Arabian Prince. Make your own badge here.


    Online dictionary at www.Answers.com
    Answers, not links






    iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator