Monday, October 31, 2005

Episode 2 - A great iftar


Ever since I have finished two of finals, I've considered myself to be on holidays since the next exam is two weeks apart and a relatively simple one. So I've taken the opportunity to get back on track with whatever I've been doing prior to my finals.

Two days ago three friends and myself were invited over iftar at a friends place. It was a small group of 8-9. Little did we know that it would turn into an amazing and unforgettable day. We were invited over by the same guy that held iftar for all Omani students on the very first day of Ramadhan. (He's the chairman of the Omani students society. I don't know if I could describe him to be a great man, as even that would be an understatement.) Right after iftar we had a group prayer and then sat around the tv to watch Oman TV which I was surprised to see. Nothing much really, all they did was install a reciever dish and a decoder. And for the very first time since the beginning of Ramadhan (or since I last left Oman) I was watching live Arabic channels. Oman and Abu Dhabi were the only two deciphered channels that were available. I was so eager to know what was aired during ramadhan, as I was only aware of the show called "7ikayaat Laith" through Arabian Princess (thanks). I got the chance to watch "Manjoor"(?) which is a rather unusual game show, whereby even international participants in the show could just have their chance of winning something on the show cancelled by a card which had to be chosen initially in order for them to proceed. I wouldn't like to be in that situation! I don't think anyone would. (more or less along the lines of thank you, call again) During the show I was told by one of the guys about a hilarious caller, which I must say was shocking in two ways. How could anyone be so ignorant? and what would others (other nationalities) watching this show think of us as Omani's? The caller was asked to name a Sura from the Holy Quran that started with ":9af" (qaf) and he replied "Qul huwa.." LOL meaning Surat Al-e5la9. So the host was lenient with him and asked him to try again and told him that it had to be the name of the Sura and not how it began. So he replied once more "Uhh.. Qalawla7?" LOL! (Everyone there burst out laughing) and the host of the show said to the guy something along the lines of how could you not know something like this, we are all muslims and read the Quran. So the guy asked for a hint and the host replied "Wallah ma sa3adtak!" and I said "Zain sawa feeh!" hehehe
(by the way to those of you wondering there is Surat Qaf and Surat Al-Qare3a"

I was also told about a show that we didn't get the chance to watch which is called "Al-mo6aliboon wal Andalos" (right?) and it's said that it's a great series that enlightens one about the true story line that the series narrates. And I obviously wouldn't miss the show "7ikayaat Laith" which I thought was truly amazing, it was one of its kind!

We then had dinner, which was the best food I've had since I last left Oman! It was really good mashaAllah. After that we were told to join them in atleast watching some other Omani students and students from the UAE play soccer at an indoor sports complex. We were told that if we felt like it we could even play some volleyball. I was really looking forward to it so we joined them. Now how many of you have seen an indoor beach volleyball court, in other words a sand volleyball court indoors? Exactly.. I was surprised too. It's a lovely place! We played volleyball and it was a great experience that reminded me of the old days when these two sports(soccer and volleyball) were played almost everywhere throughout Ramadhan. It's one of those things that gave this holy month it's vibrant atmosphere.

2 Comments:

Blogger Najah said...

nice it looks like you had so much fun mashallah, it is nice and amazing to how such people around you when you are 100 miles away from home. God bless those kind of people. Happy Eid and Mabrook 3alaik the ipod (though am not that much into Tech. and these two in particular :D)..

10/31/2005 8:34 PM  
Blogger Arabian Prince said...

It was great fun.. Although its 1000's of miles :p I do agree.

Happy eid to you too and god bless you!

(btw it was a PSP!!)

10/31/2005 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • October 2005

  • November 2005

  • December 2005

  • January 2006

  • February 2006

  • March 2006

  • April 2006

  • May 2006

  • June 2006

  • July 2006

  • September 2006

  • December 2006

  • January 2007

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • A7medino The Football Fanatic
  • Absomaniac
  • Alia aka Miss Valentine
  • Aqiesz Bohemian Garden
  • Arabian Princess
  • B3eed Aldar
  • Blind Melon's LullaBy
  • Bogus
  • Dija's World
  • Lym
  • Mimi
  • Muscati
  • NaBHaN
  • Nightface's Dark Notions
  • Oman Sky
  • Pineapple Thief's Cognitive Genocide
  • PizzaQueen
  • Raed - on the walking
  • SimSim's Realm
  • SoccerBlaze - Oman's first football blog
  • Ti3gib's Junkbox
  • Toxic Honey
  • TripleTee's Horizon
  • Warda's Lil Pink Submarine
  • Weirdgoat's Dark Enterprise

  • Image hosted by Photobucket.com


    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Arabian Prince. Make your own badge here.


    Online dictionary at www.Answers.com
    Answers, not links






    iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator